Thursday, October 17, 2013

Beef Salpicao

October 15, 2013 was a holiday and I planned to try this recipe to be served for dinner (lunch is not possible coz when I woke up it's almost lunch time already, it's a holiday, I need a break!). So I went to the grocery and excitedly bought the ingredients for this and the muffin recipe I want to try.

I just browsed thru the ingredients when I decided to give it a try and didn't read the instructions thoroughly. I had a nap and woke up at around 5pm then cook a quick snack. When I started preparing for dinner, I prep and started with the recipe step by step. So I minced the garlic and cut the beef. Put the beef in a bowl, add in the minced garlic, pepper and olive oil. Then I stopped on the next line, it says, refrigerate for a couple of hours. Oh no!!! What are we going to have for dinner then? I had no choice but to put the beef marinade in the fridge and announced to my family that beef Salpicao is postponed and will be served tomorrow night instead. There goes our dinner and we end up with some leftover chicken wings and opened a canned of spicy tuna. Lesson learned: don't give in to holiday laziness mania and read through all the steps not just the ingredients.

This recipe is from feastasia.casaveneracion.com/beef-salpicao and I must say, it is yummy although my father finds it too oily, I enjoy the added info part about Salpicao in the site where I got the recipe from.

Beef Salpicao


Ingredients:

700 to 800 g. of beef tenderloin, cut into one-inch cubes
3 tbsps. of finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
3 tbsps. of olive oil
4 to 5 tbsps. of Worcestershire sauce
4 to 5 tbsps. of liquid seasoning (substituting soy sauce is not recommended)
about 1/4 c. of flour
3 tbsps. of butter combined with about 6 tbsps. of olive oil
about 1-1/2 c. of sliced mushrooms

My Note:

It's best to use the beef tenderloin. I used hump I think cause it's the only beef part available
in the grocery and it turned out a little too tough and chewy, although it's manageable, I would
try this again next time using beef tenderloin.

To garnish:

2 to 3 tbsps. of toasted garlic bits
2 to 3 tbsps. of finely sliced onion leaves

My Note:
I didn't do the garnishing part ... lazy me!

Steps:

Place the beef cubes in a bowl. Add the minced garlic, pepper and 3 tbsps. of olive oil. Mix well. Cover and keep in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a wide shallow pan — wide enough to contain the beef cubes in a single layer. The heat should be very high.

Place the beef in a plastic freezer bag. Add the flour. Shake to coat each piece of meat with flour. It is the flour that will thicken the sauce later and make it stick well to the beef.

When the olive oil and butter are hot, add the floured beef, spreading the pieces so that every piece touches the oil. Do not stir for a minute or so to allow the underside to brown. Keep the heat very high. Stir and cook for a few minutes, with occasional stirring, until the beef changes color and a light crust forms.

Pour in the Worcestershire sauce and liquid seasoning. Stir briskly; the sauce should thicken quite fast. Add the mushrooms, cook just until heated, stirring occasionally.

The actual cooking should take no more than five minutes. If you overcook the beef, the meat will turn tough and dry.

Transfer the beef salpicao to a serving platter, sprinkle with toasted garlic bits and finely sliced onion leaves. Serve hot with rice.





Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment