Thursday, October 17, 2013

Apple and Carrot Muffin


I've been searching for some healthy but yummy muffin recipes for the past couple of days. Getting to know my oven made me baked a lot of sweet stuff not to mention the no-bake nutella cheesecake that took us a week to finish and so I need to bake something which is not too sweet.

I listed some muffin recipes I want to try, with fruits and vegetables as main ingredients. First on my list was Apple and Zucchini Muffin (Confession: I haven't eaten zucchini in my entire existence so I have no idea how it taste). I chose this because I have apples in the fridge and the steps is quite easy. So off to the grocery I went to bought other stuff. After paying, I realized that I forgot to buy Zucchini tsk tsk tsk. So I went back inside and there's no Zucchini. I browsed thru the vegetable lanes 3x just to make sure and none, nadah, nothing, zero! SIGH. I went home thinking, what will I bake now?

When M called and asked how's my day so far, I shared the zucchini story. So M asked me, what else do you have? I said, I bought some baby carrots for macaroni soup. Then M suggested, why won't you search for an apple and carrot muffin recipe? And so I did!

Honestly, I was kinda nervous that it wont turn out so well. First, when I put in the nutmeg, I got overwhelmed with the smell and kind of made me think how would it taste like. Second, I don't know but I'm afraid that it won't puffed up hahaha!

I ate dinner after I put the muffin tin in the oven but I can't help but stand up from time to time to check if the muffin is rising. I'm that nervous and ecstatic when I saw it rise! hahaha!

And gosh, I didn't expect it to taste so good. It's not too sweet. The texture is soft and nice.
I refrigerate it the day after and it's still soft and I was able to eat it even without reheating.
My family liked it and so does my officemate. She emailed me with subject, Homebaked goodness. Then she said thanks and told me that I can do a part-time home based business with this muffin.
So I must say that this is a happy muffin and will make your tummy happy :)

Recipe from: mumsnet.com

Apple and Carrot Muffin

Ingredients
225g self-raising flour or plain flour plus 3 tsp baking powder
175g brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
Tiny pinch of salt
150ml plain oil, eg sunflower, vegetable, or light olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 medium carrots, finely grated
1 apple, finely grated

My Notes:
I used self-raising flour.
For carrots, I used 1 pack of 250gm baby carrot. I also read in another recipe that baby carrot gives more moisture than normal carrots.
For apple, I used 2 small apples.


For a creamy icing (optional):
50g marscapone or cream cheese
100g icing sugar
20g butter, softened
Squirt of lemon juice

My Notes:
I didn't do the icing since it's my first time to try this recipe.
I'll do this next time though :)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease muffin tins or line with paper cases (makes approx 6 large, 12 medium, or 20 mini muffins).
3. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and spices, using your hands to remove any lumps from the brown sugar if needed.
4. Add oil and eggs and gently the fold mixture together.
5. Stir in carrot and apple.
6. Spoon into muffin tins, nearly to the top.
Bake for approx 25-35 minutes depending on the size of the muffins.
7. Check with a skewer if unsure - if it comes out clean the muffin is cooked, if sticky leave them in for a bit longer.
8. Leave in the tin to cool a little, then turn out.
9. For optional creamy icing, blend ingredients and top each muffin.

Fresh from the oven:



Healthy goodness in every bite:

No comments:

Post a Comment