Sunday, October 13, 2013

A hack version of Boracay's Famous Real Coffee's Calamansi Muffin


Thru Instagram, I get to know this famous Calamansi muffin from Boracay. The celebrities rave about it so much and make it a point to buy lots as a pasalubong whenever they went to the island. 
I haven't been to Bora for a long time now and so I have absolutely no idea how it taste like but still I'm so curious about it.

I'm a follower of Erwan Heusaff's blog thefatkidinside and I was so happy when he posted the food hack version of this very famous muffin, needless to say, I have to try it out. This is on top of my list of must try even though at that time Erwan posted it, I don't have an oven yet...the power of wishful thinking.

And today is the day I get to try this recipe. Full details and video can be found here  

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp. + more to butter the ramekins
1 c sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
Zest from 1 lemon or lime
1/3 c calamansi juice (freshly squeezed) – or lemon, or key limes
1 tbsp of lemon juice


Steps:

Pre heat oven to 210 celsius

1. mix all the dry ingredients first. Set aside
2. In a mixer: butter + sugar until creamy. 1 egg, then mix. 1 more egg, mix again. On low, add the milk, juices, rind, dry mix. Mix until smooth.
3. Butter ramekins, and fill to 3/4
4. Place in the oven, automatically reduce heat to 175.

Keep an eye on them until they puff up and get a nice muffin top (dome) and a stick comes clean when inserted. (usually 15mins).


Notes:

My first batch didn't puff up as well but on my second batch, by accidental mistake, the oven is still at 200 celsius on the first 13 minutess and when I saw it, I put it back to 170 and baked it for 4 minutes more. It puffed up and looks more enticing than the first batch.

First Batch:


Second Batch:




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment