Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Leche Flan (Creme Caramel)


Leche flan is one of the desserts I really, really love. I want it creamy, smooth and not too sweet.

My friends told me that it's very easy to make a leche flan but honestly the thought of caramelizing the sugar overwhelmed me, weird right? When I received my steamer, I challenged myself to make this delicious dessert. With the help of Google, I was able to find many recipes for this. Some use the whole egg while most were just used egg yolks. I tried some of the recipes and I kind of failed. Aside from that, I'm looking for a certain taste that I remember from way back when.

Finally, I remembered that it was Cherry's ( a friend and a former officemate)leche flan. I asked her if she could share her recipe with me and generous as she is, she gave it to me and wish me good luck (I really need that).

A good friend of mine, Janis, shared with me on how to caramelize the sugar using microwave oven. She got it from this blog. Be careful in handling it though cause its TOO HOT and you should be quick in pouring the caramelized sugar in the molds cause it hardens way too fast.

My first try of this recipe was too firm but the taste was good. I realized then that I'm using small molds and so I should adjust the time. My second try was good BUT too much caramelized sugar. My third time, it was perfect!!! My friends who were able to try it was also happy with the taste, consistency and the sweetness.

So here it is, Cherry's Leche Flan Recipe:

8 eggyolks
3/4 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla(optional as this was not in her recipe but I normally see this included in most leche flan recipes so I decided to add it as well).

1. Caramelized the sugar and transfer it to the leche flan molds and let it cool.



 2. Beat together all the ingredients until well mixed. Better to hand mix them using a wire whisk to prevent bubble from forming.



3. Strain the leche flan mix and distribute evenly in the molds.


4. Cover the mold with a foil and steam for 30 minutes. I initially set it to 20 but when I checked it by inserting a knife in the flan, it's still not yet done. I steamed for another 5 minutes, checked again but same result. Steamed for 5 minutes more and the knife came out clean.



5. Let it cool and chill it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. To serve, run a knife around the edges of the flan then invert onto a plate.





Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment